It is currently Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:30 pm Advanced search

Connecting Members Who Wish To Either Buy Or Sell

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Riva boats, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Eric T., Don Ayers, martinfeletto, RonSchultz

Connecting Members Who Wish To Either Buy Or Sell

Postby danmorehead » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Don,

Thanks for all of your work on the Forum. It's a great resource.

I wanted to ask about an area of possible future development.

Every time Viva Riva comes in the mail I flip to the "classified" section at the end. It's fun to see what boats are offered for sale and who is trying to find what type of boat.

Over the years I've bought and sold a number of Aquaramas -- some through Viva Riva. Should Riva Club USA use the forum in a similar way? It could be even more useful than Viva Riva as the Forum is real time (and primarily concerned with US based boats).

All the best,

Dan
danmorehead

Re: Connecting Members Who Wish To Either Buy Or Sell

Postby Don Ayers » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Dan;

Thanks for the question and welcome aboard.

It's a valid question that we talked about early on and is still under consideration in some respects.

Our main goal of the forum was to provide an open exchange of information and fellowship for all who appreciate classic Riva boats world wide.

Clearly at various times people all over have parts and or boats they want to sell and this is a good thing for supply and demand. We initially decided that allowing individuals and or businesses to openly solicit goods and services was not in the best interest of the forum. Since then we did establish a "wanted" topic section for people to post their needs regarding parts etc. This section has specific rules which can be read at the beginning of the section.

When it comes to selling boats I believe that owners have the right to market their boats anyway they see fit be it "by owner" or "by broker". This is no different than real estate in my opinion. It's not uncommon for people to try and sell their house on their own prior to engaging with a real estate broker. I think it comes down to the needs of the seller and or the perceived value/service a broker can bring.

The Chris-Craft club had many discussions about this several years ago and it was determined the membership wanted a web-based tool to market their boats as individuals, hence www.tradingdock.org was formed.

www.tradingdock.org has become very popular and currently has over 1,000 listings for boats and other items.

Perhaps in the future the Riva Forum might directly link to the Trading Dock to a specific Riva section. Just thinking off the top of my head.

The Riva Forum is not directly affiliated with any club and is independent. It is free and for everyone's benefit to use.

I can assure you we will continue to grow and develop the benefits of the Riva Forum in the future.

Thank you for your participation

Regards
Don Ayers
Las Vegas
1978 Riva St. Tropez
Don Ayers

Postby Eric T. » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 am

Dan,

I think it is something worth considering in the future as the site grows.
Eric T.

Postby danmorehead » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Eric, it might be a chicken and egg situation. I'm not sure they have to be sequenced. Putting more information which users are curious about on the site might help it grow faster.
danmorehead

Return to Odds & Ends